Every year, books are challenged as being offensive to someone. Most of these challenges occur in public schools. My favorite banned book? I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou. Her story is a sad and compelling one about a woman that started with very little in life and ended up being one of the most remarkable poets of the 20th century (and today!). Check out these links for more banned book goodness:
- American Libraries kicks off Banned Books Week with a video in cooperation with ALA's Office for Intellectual Freedom.
- 25 Banned Books That You Should Read Today from Degree Directory-short excerpts of banned books
- Explore banned books with Google Book Search
- Official banned books week website
- A history of banned books by Shelftalk, Seattle Public Library's blog